Reports to: Operations Team Leader
Location: Nashville, TN
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hobbs & Associates (www.hobbsassociates.com) provides heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) products and engineering services to commercial and industrial building contractors, architect-design firms, and business owners. We work with our business partners to create enduring community infrastructure such as schools and colleges, hospitals, military and municipal structures, entertainment venues, hotels, and multi-family housing.
Since 1984, Hobbs & Associates has continued to maintain a strong family culture and employs over 170 employees working across three states and the District of Columbia (Washington DC). Our end users include the Pentagon, HCA Healthcare facilities, multiple universities and entertainment venues, Eastman Chemical in Tennessee, the historic Cavalier on the Hill in Virginia Beach, and Music City Center in Nashville, TN, to name a few.
Hobbs also works in a variety of specialty HVAC applications to maintain indoor air quality (IAQ) specifications in hospitals and operating rooms, museums, data storage centers, warehouses, casinos, correctional facilities, and uniquely designed climate-controlled rooms for indoor agriculture.
As a family-owned business, we are dedicated to our customers, local communities, and employees. Our customers recognize and appreciate that we deliver on-time service before, during, and after installation. Every Hobbs project is backed by our domain experts, commitment to quality, and strong foundation of HVAC manufacturing solutions.
We are seeking a dynamic, service-driven individual who thrives in working in a fast-paced, relationship-rich environment. As a Project Engineer, this individual will be responsible for coordinating submittals, equipment selection, pricing, and ship dates for each assigned project. A Project Engineer must have the ability to learn new skills and knowledge about Designed HVAC systems and the related HVAC Equipment in the context of project management. Must be detailed and customer service oriented along with having excellent organizational skills. Position requires a high level of oral and written correspondence with the Sales Team, Customers and Manufacturers to ensure timely completion of assigned projects while maintaining customer satisfaction. Must be able to work well with others in a fast-paced & high-volume environment.
- Optimize the project through the stages of product selection, specifications, plans, estimates, proposals, value engineering and redesigns.
- Manage multiple projects on an ongoing basis
- Communicate with owners, architects, MEP Consultants and General, Mechanical, Electrical, and Controls Contractors
- Develop and grow relationships with customers, contractors, project engineers and manufacturers
- Investigate concerns, implement corrective action and communicate with customers and co-workers as necessary to maximize customer satisfaction
- Read, understand and interpret building plans & specifications
- Generate and submit submittals to consulting engineer
- Create and maintain job files for each project throughout its duration
- Organize project related data for order entry
- Assist with distribution and receipt of submittals
- Track ship dates and shipments to delivery; communicates with customers regarding updates
- Communicate effectively with team members, customers and factories concerning details of project
- Generate equipment selections during project execution as needed.
- Generate additional quotes as needed during project execution.
- Respond to and track IOM & Submittal requests
- Collaborate regularly with Parts, Service (for equipment start-up, functional testing, and commissioning purposes), and Accounting (invoicing coordination); prepare reports regularly
- Warranty administration:
- Order service parts
- Pursue reimbursements
- Pursue order acknowledgement
- Track shipment from factory
- Manage receipt and distribution of all closeout materials to customers:
- Installation operation and maintenance manuals – IOMs
- Spare parts
- Startup reports
The Required Profile
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field and 4+ years account management and leadership experience; or equivalent experience
- Mechanical Contracting with emphasis on HVAC Equipment, Engineering or Construction industry experience preferred
- Excellent initiative, and interpersonal communications skills and a demonstrated ability to influence others
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, deal with conflict and ambiguity and manage high volume projects
- Strong PC skills in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Strategic and Operating Skills
A Project Engineer must have the ability to learn new skills and knowledge about Designed HVAC systems and the related HVAC Equipment in the context of project management. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Ability to understand system components and their impact on a designed system
- Ability to be open about finding new and innovative solutions
- Ability to handle uncertainty and make decisions without know the complete story
- Ability to discern workload to prioritize tasks to balance and meet all project goals in a timely manner
- Ability to be open to changing and improving processes to maximize workflow
- Ability to manage people and situations when conflict arises
Personal and Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to establish and grow relationships with customers through effective verbal and written communication
- Dedicated to the needs of the customers, manufacturers and peers and has the patience to actively listen to all business partners.
- Ability to solve problems in a high stress environment with other sales team members, customers or manufacturers
- Demonstrates integrity and trust through appropriate directness and truthfulness.
- Ability to understand personal strengths and weaknesses, seek feedback and improve upon shortcomings
- Ability to communicate and transfer knowledge in a precise, concise, and logical manner
A Project Engineer will be required to work in an office environment both with Project Engineers and Account Executives. Visiting jobsites for meetings, equipment deliveries, etc. will take place bases on individual project requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone, reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Medical, Dental, Vision insurance. Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance, Pet Coverage, Company-Sponsored Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, 401k, Roth, Dedicated Financial Advisor, PTO, Employee Development and Wellness programs.
Pay starting at $50,000. Commensurate with experience.
Hobbs & Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: In person